Monday, June 6, 2011

Neurotic parent seeking babysitter

Employment Opportunity
Position: Part time babysitter
Qualified applicant to start work immediately


Essential Duties: Under the general supervision of Mom and Dad, this position will provide varied child care for a 3 year old and (in the near future) infant. Duties include, but not limited to:
Assisting with continual potty training, daily naps, possible bathing and bed time, future diaper changes, tummy time, feeding
Preparing healthy and nutritious snack/meals (juice, candy and sweets not applicable)
Encourage and support daily daycare concepts 
Assist in transportation to and from daycare
Must demonstrate abilities to interact with imaginary friends and engage in pretend play
Frequent trips to park, miniature golf course, and Costco


Special preference given to those who: clean up after themselves and don't eat all the food in the house.


Qualifications: 
18-20 years old
HS graduate
local college student (or future college student) preferred
Must have reliable transportation with current vehicle insurance as well as current health insurance


Specialized Skills and Abilities:
CPR/First Aid certified
Former lifeguard/swim teacher preferred
Arts and Crafts "guru"
Bi-lingual preferred and not limited to a specific language
Fluent in American Sign Language 
Ability to part from your cell phone and social networking while working


Benefits/Pay:
Employer sponsored CPR and First Aid training and renewal if necessary
Vacation employment to include: travel, lodging, food paid by employer
$10/hr


Please note: I have the right to judge you based on your facebook/twitter profiles. 
Your girlfriend/boyfriend or children need not accompany you to work.




Someone please reassure me that this is not too much to expect from a sitter....anyone?

After 3 years of asking our parents and Jake's teachers to babysit I have finally taken to leap and asked one of my students to babysit. This has been a LONG time coming and I've been dreading it. We have an event coming up next weekend and after asking two of Jake's preschool teachers (both unavailable) while refusing to ask our parents, I was randomly approached by one of my students offering to babysit. I have been told by many students, in the past, that they would be more than willing to babysit for me but I never took them seriously - that is until now. I am at the point of desperation and it's time for me to cut the cord.

I've spent time researching local sitters before. I checked out Craigslist (if I wanted a child molester), looked through the newspaper (see craigslist comment), checked out CPR/First Aid classes (if I wanted to hire a 13 year old), asked other parents (my friends either have no kids or older kids who don't need a sitter) and signed up for a few of those babysitter websites (if I was looking for a 40 year old who has their own kids and probably has their own ideas about how I should raise my kids). I've even considered asking my students. The problem with this is while I know they are qualified/educated enough to get into college that doesn't mean they are educated enough to navigate proper Facebook postings. Seriously, if I was their parents I would be appalled at some of their daily activities. BUT as my own Mom pointed out, it's not like I didn't engage in similar (or worse) activities, I was just fortunate enough to not have social media to track my debauchery for all the world (an future employers) to judge.

After grilling Gabe for 30 min on her qualifications and previous experience I suggested that she come over to meet Jake and Ryan this Sunday. She was at our house for 2 hours and it was only in the last 15 minutes that Jake finally opened up and started talking and playing with her. When she left he was actually sad to see her go but excited to play with her this weekend (SCORE!) I'll be so relieved and happy if this works out because it would be nice to be able to know that not only Jake can meet new people but that I can do it! (But really, I am well aware that its me and not Jake.)

No comments:

Post a Comment