Friday, May 6, 2011

New Mother's Day Tradition

The year I graduated High School was the same year my Aunt found out she had breast cancer. I remember the day of graduation was one of the first times she had gone out since her mastectomy. After months (years?) of chemo and radiation she went into remission. The cancer would eventually come back and metastasize in her hip, leg, and bones. Its been 13 years that she has been living with some sort of cancer, juggling doctors appointments and multiple medications. In that time she has never let it hold her back from going about her life. She has traveled to Maine, Scotland, England, and Florida. She has worked full-time over the years and has built a "Fan base" of clients that visit her often.

For years my cousin, my aunt, my mom, and I have been talking about participating in the Susan G. Komen Race for a Cure in Sacramento but we've never actually signed up until last year. We had so much fun that we decided to make it an annual Mother's Day tradition - complete with matching shirts!

So tomorrow I walk with my family for my aunt who is a cancer survivor. I know this journey hasn't been easy on her or the rest of my family but I am so grateful for the time we continue to have with her and the fun memories we create together.

1 comment: