Monday, March 28, 2011

"Check out this gigantic cat. It's huge! Like as huge as Alissa's belly!"


You heard it right, that actually came out of someones mouth last week. At work no less. By a co-worker! 

Thus concluded two weeks of people commenting on my large, huge, round belly. It all started when a student I saw on Monday came by the office again on Wednesday. Instead of "Hey" (or some variation) he says "Wow, you got big." To which I replied "I was looking for a reason to cease talking to you.ever.again." That night another student, who just birthed her first, comments on my "you got bigger" stomach. Really?! Don't even get me started on you sister. You should be thanking me and my tax dollars for paying for that child you birthed. Thursday my best friend, who hasn't seen me in a few months, made a similar comment. By this time the events of yesterday had been stewing so I replied to her something to the effect of "would it be OK if I told you that you looked fat?! (not that she did) No? Then why is it OK that you can comment on my weight?"  I felt bad for going off on her so when I saw a different friend that night and she made a comment, I simply smiled and took a deep breath. It was only a few days later, just enough time for me to forget, when my co-worker made that HUGE comment about my stomach. I immediately told her to step-off. I haven't even gained that much weight! In fact other than being anemic my OB/GYN says I'm doing "fantastic." 

My Mom says that I have to let it go mostly because I have few friends that have given birth and they didn't mean them negatively. Maybe she's right. I did feel bad after telling off my BF, but seriously. Why is it OK to comment on a pregnant persons weight but not OK to tell a non-prego that they have gained a few? I mean, its common knowledge that I'm growing another person. You think I can't feel the weight? Recently I've had to wear a back brace (similar to the ones you see weight lifters sport) to help with the back aches. In all honesty if you think I'm "big" now, just wait till the weather is hotter and I'm closer to ejection. I have a feeling "cankels" are on the horizon.

Authors note: I acknowledge that none of those comments were meant to be malicious. I also know that you don't think I'm "fat" and comments like these aren't meant to be interpreted as such.

2 comments:

  1. Granted I've never been in your position, so I can't tell you how it would feel...however I see most of those comments as compliments. You have a developing, healthy baby that is getting bigger every day, it can be expected... and you should be excited. I don't think anyone who has ever commented on the size of a pregnant woman has ever meant 'you've gotten fatter'... Unless you do actually put on 100lbs (cuz last time I checked a baby was like 8 lbs when they came out)... and at that point I might tell you to hit the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Liss... I'm pretty sure I probably said something about that belly of yours this weekend but I think you look fabulous and I say it as a compliment because the bigger he gets the sooner he'll be here!

    Heck I am even a little jealous at how good you look pregnant as I'm beginning to grow around the midsection for no other reason than my laziness and lack of exercise:)

    ReplyDelete